Tirana, August 18, 2016
Call for Film Submission Documentary
Within the realm of the Albanian speaking countries of the Balkans, mothers occupy a position not unlike their Mediterranean counterparts : They are seen as strong, yet silent prima donnas operating in the background of a patriarchal society, courageously sacrificing their lives to the benefit of their husbands and children. Our project, « Mothers of Courage » (titre provisoire) sets out to question and explore the breadth of this narrative.
What, do we ask ?
– What are the repercussions of attributing women primarily a sacrificing rôle ?
– What does the lens of sacrifice and courage enable, what does it foreclose ?
– How do different generations of Albanian women and men articulate the relationship to their mothers (communist, postcommunist, diasporic, Kosovar war and postwar) ?
– What kind of persons (women and men alike) are produced and reproduced by a mother that is described primarily in terms of struggle, courage and sacrifice?
– Other questions are the welcome
The project « Mothers of Courage » sets out to explore these questions via the aesthetics of film. At this moment we are asking for filmmakers to submit their ideas, scripts and notes about documentaries scrutinizing the frictions that arise between mothers, their offsprings, their spouses and the Albanian speaking societies in general. We are particularly interested in hearing from upcoming female filmmakers, but all interesting project will be consider. Submissions should center on case stories, although we will consider larger theoretical approaches that question the role Albanian women occupy in our societies.
After careful consideration, five projects will be chosen that will form the main part of the « Mother of Courage » documentary.
Bring your story at http://www.albanianculturaldiplomacy.org/
Contact- firstname.lastname@example.org and